J. Moss Paternity Suit

Mike Martindale / The Detroit News
PONTIAC — An Oakland Circuit Court judge has signed a default judgment in a paternity case against gospel recording artist J. Moss, ordering him to pay child support to a Georgia woman.

J. Moss, whose real name is James L. Moss Sr. and lives in West Bloomfield Township, was named in a paternity lawsuit filed in June by Lakisha Hughes, 28, of Douglasville, Ga., concerning her son, Christion, born March 15. A court-ordered DNA test subsequently determined the 36-year-old Moss is the boy’s father with “99.9 percent” accuracy, according to the court file.

“I really don’t wish to discuss this — it’s a difficult situation involving children, two families and also careers,” said Hughes on Thursday.

Moss could not be reached for comment at his home or recording studio, PAJAM Music in Oak Park.

When Moss failed to respond to court filings, Oakland Circuit Judge Cheryl Matthews signed a judgment Monday prepared by the Oakland County Prosecutor’s Office requiring Moss to pay $1,028 a month support until the boy turns 18 years old.

Court documents reveal Hughes is unemployed, has a teenage daughter and is divorced. Moss is listed as married and has two other children with his wife. Court filings indicate Moss admitted to Hughes as being the father of her son and even sent her text messages regarding her pregnancy and the child — and “I still have them,” she noted in one filing.

Hughes and Moss never lived together, she told the court.

Hughes also said Moss offered to pay abortion expenses but never provided any of the medical care. He never visited the child, but had given her “a total of $450 for Christion,” she wrote.

Moss records and produces recordings under PAJAM Music. Hughes estimated in the court filing his gross monthly earnings at $50,000.

Moss is the son of gospel star Bill Moss Sr. and grew up on tours with his father’s group, Bill Moss and the Celestials, and a cousin’s group, The Clark Sisters. Moss, who grew up in Detroit and attended Michigan State University for two years, is a tenor who plays keyboards and both writes and produces music with his production group PAJAM.

Moss has recorded several albums, including “The J. Moss Project” and was a co-writer and/or producer for others including Karen Clark-Sheard, Hezekiah Walker, N’SYNC, Michelle Williams, Trin-i-tee 5:7, Dru Hill and Boyz II Men. He has been nominated for a Grammy several times.

You can reach Mike Martindale at (248) 647-7226 or mmartindale@detnews.com.

SOURCE: http://detnews.com

Comments

39 Responses to “J. Moss Paternity Suit”
  1. Rshay says:

Well, well. What can you say. J Moss. Producer and gospel artist!

2. This music industry is no joke, no matter the genre

3. RAS says:

This is the kind the stuff that you read about and get sick of reading. Now here this man of God, husband, father and Praise worshipper making the headlines for not worshipping but shaming his name, his wife, children and listening audience. It’s not for gossip but for you to pray for him. He is a great worshipper and I know God uses him with his talents when he is singing, writing and producing.

4. Wanda says:

I am a young Christian woman who has grown up on gospel in word and song, but this stuff now… In seeking Jesus more and more in these last days, I am now able to discern spirits through the Holy Ghost. I have just found out about many “so-called ” gospel singers/artists and how they are really psuedo christians spreading a false gospel with a false christ. JMoss is one of those singers. I used to really draw towards the music he sings, produces, etc. because of his unique style. I’ve learned; it’s not about talent when we’re used by God, it’s the Anointing. I kid you not; about two to three months ago I would listen to JMoss latest album and immediately find myself battling hard in the spirit. I seriously felt unclean, but I hadn’t committed any idolatrous or sexual sin. I disregarded it and listened to the album maybe two more times afterwards and got an even stronger feeling of lust trying to invade my spirit. I am listening now to The Holy Ghost because I believe He led me to find out about this uncovering of the spirit of lust and sexual perversion in James Moss. I will go home and throw his album in the trash along with others I have already thrown away: his cousin, Karen Clark-Sheard, Tye Tribbett and GA, Deitrick Haddon. I will keep praying, fasting and hoping in Jesus that sinners will come to repentance and those of us who love and seek The Truth will hold on until our change comes. Believe, accept, and live for Jesus, The Christ.

5. John says:

We have to pray

6. J. Nichols says:

It is sad when people forget why they were called. Mr. Moss needs to repent and return to Jesus. It is sad that he stepped out on his wife. But is also sad that Ms. Hughes allowed entangled herself into sin. She knew that Mr. Moss was married and still slept with him. He is a whore and she is too!

7. A says:

WOW! “We Must Pray”

The Dogs of the gospel are many! J is NOT the only one. But God will pull the cover off of us.

Most of the music today is a watered down “happy” gospel and NOT the gospel of Jesus the Christ. All in the name of drawing the world. But as we see and will see more and more, it’s stars will draw Christians further from the truths of God’s word.

Look at the men they are becoming more of a sex appeal. The women have NO modesty, breast hanging out, and tight clothing. I probably should remind you that I’m talking about gospel music.

Come out from among them and be ye separate!

We can avoid this type of embarrassment if we would hearken unto the voice of the Lord.

8. J J J????? says:

WoW! “We Must Pray”

Come out from among them and be ye separate!

9. Striving... says:

…I am in no way makin’ excuses…we are all ‘guilty’ of something…we’re just not in the spotlight like J Moss…let’s not forget that the Apostle Paul was once a murderer all in the name of the Lord…and God forgave and used him mightily…and gave him an even greater testimony and ministry…it’s about forgiveness…let us at fellow servants of God first forgive sincerely…and then keep his family in prayer….we all need to repent if we judge this man…is it a shame?…sure…but just be grateful God did not expose us when he probably should have…he will come out alright…he’s got to go thru it…it won’t be easy……it will not be easy but I keep him lifted in hopes that he will continue his ministry…..no matter what..by all means….keep moving J Moss…keep moving…. …. ..

10. David says:

The LORD that we serve is a forgiving God and J. Moss will be restored to his rightful place and God will bestow his blessing on anyone that is in the body of CHRIST! We can’t put to much emphasis on human men and women because we are not suppose to be focused on the human being but JESUS CHRIST our Savior. Look to Jesus, Pray, Watch and Live Holy. Instead of criticizing pray for the brother that the Lord will bestow many more blessing upon his life. All a sinner have to do is repent, turn away from the world and he shall be saved! I still love the brother because regardless he still is the instrument of God the Father, so with that being said may God bless each and everyone that’s in the body of Christ! Love all, Grace and Peace!

11. Anonymous says:

J Moss was just letting his flesh get the best of him. We fall down and we get back up, just pray for him, his wife and the other children everything will work out in time.

12. CHYNA says:

This is absolutely appauling. J should be ashamed of himself. I say that not be judgemental, but he has two songs on his last two CD’s that talk about issues of the flesh. Just as Jesus called the Pharisees and the Saducees “hypocrites”. What do we call J? Justified?? Please, there is no remission for sin when it is committed willingly.
    Why do we continue to take Jesus’ grace for granted and crucify Him all the time. He even said in an interview the heavy breathing in all of his songs is a result of all the R&B music that he has produced over the years. He is from the COGIC. He knows better than that.

13. peaches says:

I agree with Wanda I feel the same way she feel, there was definitely something other than gospel music going on. on this cd. I dont know what’s going on with are christian men but we definitely need to start praying for them. And for these whorish women who dont know how to conduct themselves as young ladies. LEAVE THESE MARRIED MEN ALONE!!!! And stop all of this fornicating, you all know better, and for those of you who dont know what fornicating mean it ‘s SEX(HAVING SEX) AND MARRIED MEN GO HOME TO YOUR WIVES, leave these WHORES ALONE. and for all of you single men keep it in your PANTS. AND TO ALL OF YOU PASTORS STOP ALL THE SLEEPING AROUND! YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE. and start teaching these young people the right way.FIRST MARRIGE THEN SEX,THEN BABIES,WITH YOUR OWN HUSBAND OR WIFE. NOT WITH EVERYONE IN THE CONGREGATION.GROW UP AND STOP ACTING LIKE CHILDREN OR WORSE LIKE ANIMALS.

14. ANGIE says:

YEAH! PEACHES YEAH! TELL THEM GIRL. IT’S REALLY SAD. THAT PEOPLE HAVE TO PREACH TO THESE SO CALLED MEN AND WOMEN OF GOD ON THE INTERNET. WHEN THERE ARE SO MANY PASTORS IN THIS WORLD. DID YOU ALL SEE OPRAH THE OTHER DAY WHEN THOSE 2 MINISTERS SAID THAT BEING GAY WAS A GIFT FROM GOD? THIS IS THE REASON WHY SO MANY PEOPLE IN THE CHURCH ARE SO MIXED UP. BECAUSE THERE BEING TAUGHT BY IDIOTS LIKE THESE 2.

15. Tracey says:

All have sinned and come short of the “Glory” of God. When things like this happen, it is not for us to condemn, judge, or offer our plan for restoration, but to pray. Until we see him, we become like him…we are all capable. of falling short…now forget the mote in your brothers eye and behold the beam in our on eye…and I say our…the only difference between J Moss and me, is he is famous…Man puts conditions on sin..one sin is greater than the other..God has no condition..sin is sin..so my sin is no greater than his…….Let him that is without sin cast the first stone….I can’t throw one…we are all sinners saved by grace, that is what COGIC taught me, and for the record it isn’t about denomination, God is God……and yes, We Must Pray.

16. Kimmie says:

I strongly agree with Tracey! Once redeemed (probably is already) he will more anointed than ever before!

17. Angel says:

Thank you Kimmie and Tracey for keeping him lifted up. I have no idea who church folks are on such a witch hunt. You would think that the blood of Jesus can’t still wash away sins. I know Moss has been totally forgiven, it’s the folks that are trying to nail him to the cross that now have the blood on their hands. Keep talkin about him if u want to, you will have to answer to God for your careless and hurtful words. I’m not a huge fan of gospel music at all but I have sense enough to know that when someone is anointed, u keep your lips off of them to avoid drama in your own life. When u judge u will be judged….

18. Angel says:

One more thing, all of these women who are nailing him to the cross have at least one time been hurt too and they are trying to take out all of their past frustrations on him…He will come back and be more powerful than ever and when he’s rolling back in the millions because he will, they will look real dumb…Yeah I said it and refuse to take it back….Love u J….

19. Katie says:

Let’s just face the facts that what JMoss did was wrong and can be forgiven. I just want to say something to Angel. I don’t understand why you on this cite if you don’t even really like gospel music. Apparently you the one on the witch hunt. Ain’t nobody trying to nail him to the cross. Jesus already took care of all that. You are wrong for that last lil’ comment and what at least most of these women are trying to say is that HE DID WRONG. And one more thing to you ANGEL, there is a such thing as righteous judgement. So before you type anything, make sure that it is something that you can back up. THANK YOU!!!!!!

20. Tosin says:

Heb 12:2: Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God

Rom 8:28: And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

Eph 3:20: Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,

Col 2:9&10: For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:

1Pet 5:10: But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you

Jude 24&25: Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

The Word is life to the dying, light to the en-darkened, water to the thirsty, food to the hungry, hope to the hopeless…..all we can ever lack. Hold on to the Word.

21. Angel says:

Thanks Katie for the reality check. A hit dog will holler. Witch hunt no boo, u on the other hand must face the fact that God will use who he wants, when he wants how he wants and the more u judge him, the more God can get the Glory….No matter what u say, if you truly have love in your heart, u can forgive. Don’t tell me where I can post and where I can go, it’s a free country and I will defend him until the end…..Somebody has to take a stand because it’s amazing how much people love u one day, u make a mistake and they crucify you….You or nobody else is perfect and therefore you need not judge, don’t ever tell me where I can post. U have lost your mind….

22. Angel says:

Just to make sure you understand that the more u judge and try to dog him, the more I will pray for him, keep him lifted up and defend him and my prayers will reach more than the ceiling….You betta hope God still remembers your name when it’s all said and done…..I hope u don’t fall anytime soon and your dirty laundry is listed…..Just because he’s in the public eye still doesn’t mean people should take turns throwing rocks…..Simply amazing how we have a brotha in the white house but another brotha who has fallen can’t get forgiveness from our community and we always want to blame the white man for stuff…Amazing….

23. Pastor says:

I believe that blogging about our concerns of an individual will continue to allow the body of Christ to be torn. Everything that everyone has possibly said has their own “righteousness” included in their comments. The beauty in not being a Muslim is that when I’m not perfect, I don’t have to join the Jihaad to forgive my sin. The beauty in not being a Buddist is that I don’t have to hide in a monastary and be “blasted” by the elders for forgiveness. The beauty in being a Christian is that our imperfections have BEEN forgiven even before we committed the sin. NOW, God hands jugdement to those who commit sin. The Bible strictly tells us “the wages of SIN is death…” and it says “ALL have SINNED…” I did a very deep study on SIN and we think there are multiple “sin’s”, when in actuality there’s only ONE SIN, it’s called DISOBEDIENCE. Whenever we do the opposite of what God told us to do we commit SIN. The church’s problem is that we categorize one more than the next. Whenever God list sin’s in the Bible, He was just making us aware of what to see IN US that separated US from Him. Now, with all of that being said “Cast your stone now!” We’re arguing amongst each other, trying to make one comment bigger than the other, agreeing with pseudo (false)-realities, etc. etc. thats causing DISCORD, and you’ve never seen each other (lol, thats crazy!)All of us have been DISOBEDIENT in some way or another with God. Let’s stop being WORLDLY, tearing down our people. God will judge J. Moss, He will convict him, AND MOST OF ALL, will restore him. Lets help the reparations by praying!

God help us beyond pseudo-criticism’s!

24. steve says:

thanks Pastor ….whatever anyone says after my post is nothing. Looks like on some of these post no one does anything wrong…Thank you Lord God for YOUR LOVE and mercy and grace

25. steve says:

you said it. Thank God for forgiveness of sins

26. steve says:

Why is this news and this online mag reporting it? Is this a Christian mag? WOW

27. Angel says:

Thank you for shedding light on this situation. I’ve repented for being involved in an internet argument. I just know that before I really got into gospel music, I felt like nobody could relate to what I was going through. Through his music I got my deliverance and I refuse to allow people to drag him down because he made a mistake. We all make mistakes but thanks be to God he can and will still use us when the world has rejected us. Im so glad that these same people won’t be waiting at the gates of heaven to be my judge. God looks at your heart even in the midst of your wrongs, he will right any wrong you’ve done. Thank you so very much and once again, please forgive me for allowing evil people to drag me into their comments.

28. Michelle says:

The Greatest sin of all is that his candor concerning his obligations. Why is no one speaking up for the child, thats his seed he wanted to Abort, the one he does not acknowledge and accept (without being forced) A DNA test had to be performed what kind of woman did he lay down with that parternity had to be proven? PAJAM is a joke. Jmoss is not the only one that is a dead beat dad. Paul PDA Allen has no contact with his three children by his previous wife or offers any Financial assistance. Do you ever hear him mention his children or ever see them with him who are now probably teenagers by now…..NO Its all about the money now these guys are not the PAJAM of yesterday. Greed and Lust has consumed them

29. Paul says:

Bro’ Moss. Should u read this, I just wanna say that I can’t condone what you’ve done. But, I also have no place condemning you. (Or countless others who have already spit their venom). All I can do I pray for healing for you, your family and the hughes family. I pray this valley in your life will not only give you wisdom for future trails, but give you a testamony that can deliver others who are either entering or in the middle of such mess in their lives. Bless you, man.

30. carolyn says:

you who are without sin cast the first stone…………i have seen what most of you wrote and you are sinning by judging……..he is a man not god……we all have sinned and came short…….i admit what he did is not okay but the bible says touch not my anointed and do my prophet no harm….there were many a great men in the bible who did wrong like king david and look who came from his blood line….just because he gave in to temptation does not mean he is not favored by god and you people on here should be the ones repenting for some of the things you wrote…..you are suppose to pray for him and his family NOT TALK BAD ABOUT HIM!!!!!!!!!!!

31. James says:

Amen!!! We as the body suppose to uphold the infermaties of the weak. Judge not less you fall…

32. Celest says:

WOW WOW WOW! YALL IM SO STUNNED! Not because its J Moss, becuz I am a J Moss fanatic. I most definitely will pray for him and his family! But man my pastor spoke about that FLESH 2 Sundays ago.! I love his music so much. I was browsing looking for his new song Restore that will be released 08/25/2009 on CD! But man I found something today. You all see, I battle my flesh daily sometimes ALLLLLL DAYYY! My husband is away and has been for almost 5 years. I love my husband and I love the Lord. But this flesh has me wanting to surrender so so many times. I even have to ask for forgiveness for thoughts about J Moss. Sometimes I have to separate his musical talents from the lust! ITS A SERIOUS MATTER AND JUDGING HIM WILL NOT FIX HIS SITUATION, MINE OR ANYONE ELSE! WE GOTTA PRAY FOR POWER AGAINST THAT FLESH DAILY SOMETIMES 3 TIMES A DAY. YOU CAN THINK U HAVE IT UNDER CONTROL FOR 2 OR 3 DAYS AND BAM, THE URGE IS BACK ON YOU. AND HIM BEING IN THE INDUSTRY HE IS IN, ITS ROUGH. NOT MAKING EXCUSES. YALL ITS HARD. BELIEVE ME. ITS EASY FOR ME TO STEP OUT OF MY MARRIAGE, I HAVE PLENTY OF OPTIONS. BUT I LOVE MY HUSBAND AND I DONT WANT TO DEAL WITH THE GUILT. J MOSS I WILL STILL BUY YOUR MUSIC AND COME TO YOUR CONCERTS. I WILL NOT THROW STONES. I HOPE THIS IS CLEANED UP THOUGH! MAN THAT FLESH! GOOD GRACIOUS OH MIGHTY! HELP US ALL JESUS! HELP ME NOW!

33. aja jay says:

U PEOPLE NEED TO KNOCK IT OFF!!! IF UR SO INTO THE LORD THAN U SHOULD KNOW THAT HE SAID KNOW ONE IS PERFECT. LOOK IF WE CAN SEE EVERYTHING EVERYBOBY DOES BEHIND CLOSED DOORS WE WOULD BE LESS LIKELY TO JUDGE. A MISTAKES DOES NOT MAKE HIM UN HOLLIER THAN U. GET A GRIP..PRAY 4 HIM AND THATS ALL U CAN DO. SMH!! LYK UR SO PERFECT

34. Chaka S. Rosemin says:

I thank God for J Moss and his testimony. We are very much human and mistakes will be made. Although David was a man after God’s own heart, he made mistakes. However David was humble enough to ask for God’s forgiveness. When you read the book of Psalms, his humiity is definitely expressed through out. Then his son Solomon, was the wisest King there was, however he also made mistakes and turned to God. God knows WE will make mistakes, but even in those times we are not consumed. In the book of Lamentations which the prophet Jeremiah wrote 3:22-23 says It is of the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed because his compassion fails not. They are new every morning, great is thy faithfulness. J Moss I will be getting this CD, continue to let God use you. It’s through him we live, move, and have our being. Continue spreading the gospel, this CD is going to go triple platinum. Jesus rose on the third day, It was 3 wise men God spoke to regarding Jesus. Remember Trinity=The Father, The Son, and The Holy Ghost. God is going to allow this album to go triple platinum. God has restored you in an awesome way, and he is using you to restore others…. This is taking place all over the world,but through your testimony people are going to find their way back to Jesus, and remain with him. Be blessed, and continue to move in God’s glory.

35. Dee Dee says:

I do believe Mr. Moss will be accountable for his sins, but he should be a father to the child. J Moss and the mother committed the sin, he should make sure that he is apart of the childs life. Which means spending time and making the child apart of his family and bonding with other siblings. J Moss and his Wife will need prayer because it will be diffcult for her when that child is there. It will be a constant reminder of what he did. I pray that the child doesn’t suffer, it is to many children in pain from things that they have suffered from childhood . Eventhough it was done out of order and God does things in order. We should pray that the child gets though this, that is only my concern, being a child of abuse, growing up thinking that your father and mother doesn’t love you.

36. Robin Culvert says:

I thank God for His RESTORATION and forgiveness because I too had fell from grace. But thanks be to God He didnot leave me alone and literally snatched me out. I too like J. Moss can sing Restored… I’m restored and I’ve been rewarded.
    I’m redeemed from guilt and shame.
    Never rejected…just reconnected.
    Now I’m exalted because I know his name.
    I’m free from the rumors from bondage.
    Yes I am released from cycles and loose from chains.
    I’m so glad God did not take His hands off of me or J. Moss because of the anointing on this song it helped me when I was
    going through my storm so THANK YOU J. Moss for not throwing in the towel and letting the devil win.

Your Sister In Christ
    Robin

37. a christian says:

The word does say that we as Christians are to not judge! And it also states that we all have come short of the glory of God!! We must repent of our sins and change from our ways! Because he sinned and made a mistake does not make him a bad person or not a christian but a man! Only flesh, he should repent and take it to the Lord, he is not to be judge by either of us! How can you take the speck out of his eye when we all have one of our own??

38. Nqaba says:

This man’s songs once helped me get thru a dificult situation. They r inspired. We need 2 stop throwing stones as if we’ve never sinned also. God’s mercies are new every morning. Even 4 J. Moss.