Mary Mary- Their New Video Sparks Controversy

EEWMagazine.com (The Essence of the Black Christian Woman) posted an article about the controversy surrounding Mary Mary’s new video for “God In Me”.

Has Mary Mary gone to far? Check out the video, read the article and let me know what YOU think! Some of the responses:

People must realize that God’s message can be interpreted and communicated in many different ways. Everyone doesn’t respond to traditional Gospel and Mary Mary, Kirk Franklin, Kierra Sheard, DA TRUTH and other contemporary artists has the ability to save lives with their music.

Church people can be so judgmental sometimes. I’m not saying it’s right to have rappers in a gospel video but I am saying that we have to be careful about judging people’s motives and intentions.

Most of them are outraged about “sinners” appearing in the video, but as Christians, are we only supposed to mingle and associate with other Christians? If that’s the case, then most Christians certainly wouldn’t have approved of the lifestyle of Jesus CHRIST. He ate and fellowshipped with sinners in order to help win them over. What if Mary Mary is doing the same thing? We just need to think about it that’s all.

Read the entire article at EEWMagazine.com

Comments

44 Responses to “Mary Mary- Their New Video Sparks Controversy”
  1. Shondra says:

I read the article in EEW Magazine and I have to say I think Mary Mary went overboard this time. I love the girls but I disagree with them BIG TIME on The God In Me Video!

2. Brenda says:

Christians are so weak. All the protests on this and other sites about how easily our “souls” are tarnished by this song are ridiculous! Many Gospel artists include secular artists in their videos-sometimes to have street cred and other times to prove that Jesus really DOES love everyone. (Not true?) In any case, I wonder how many “church folk” protest Lil’ Wayne & others whose lyrics are detrimental to the Black community and women?

Regardless, it’s a good video & in two years we’ll all be praising Mary Mary for this song-just like we did BeBe & CeCe when they first came out in the 90s and caused the same “controversy.”

3. corey says:

i love mary mary!! they are doin their thing. aint nuthin wrong wit puttin rappers in your video. now its a different thing when u singin gospel and somebody bust out doin tha stanky legg,lol!!! keep doin u mary mary!!!

4. Ms MELLA says:

I don’t see any thing wrong with them having the rappers in their video. Who are we to judge what a person’s life is like. Aren’t we suppose to love them into a life filled with Christ? I mean, what if being in this video will convict their hearts to change. We must remember that we are all sinners saved by grace!
    WHERE WERE YOU WHEN GOD CALLED YOU?

5. JUNIOR L says:

I DARE MARY MARY TO MAKE SUCH A VIDEO AFTER BEING SO JUDGEMENTAL OF Y’ANNA WHEN SHE SANG ( WAITING ON THE WORLD TO CHANGE). THEY NEED NOT BE JUDGES ON SUNDAY BEST & THAT’S FOR SURE

6. Mrs. Chatman says:

I’m in my 40′s and I love the video! Mary Mary is just keeping it real with how people really think about Christians and wonder how they stay so blessed in these stressful times!! Go on blessing us, Mary Mary!! You know that God is STILL IN CONTROL!!

7. silas smith says:

Mary Mary have been pushing the envelope for a long time but this time they went overboard with It’s The God In Me video. As a pastor with a large youth membership who looks to Gospel singers as role models can get the wrong idea that is ok to do any kind of work for the money as long as you keep God in You. But you can’t put god down to go to work and then pick hime up again when you get home.

8. bro kim says:

what’s important here is two things, one which is none of our business, the motive behind it ? let GOD deal with it. second we as christian most be careful that the things we do in front of weaker christian may be harmful to them more so than stronger christian.music is a very powerful, the hip hop culture is anti-christ
    the (opposite).any man be in CHRIST is a new creature take off the old in with the new. you can’t serve two masters, luke warm. you either hot or you not. don’t confuse weaker christian that or trying to get out of somthing that is destroy or young people (hip hop) there is no place in CHRIST for hip hop.yes JESUS sat and ate with sinner , him came to set the captive free (hip hop) has our kids captive . the word of GOD demands change renewing of the mind and transformation, i’m not judging mary mary not my place only GOD can do that. GO BLESS

9. Shirelle says:

I strongly agree with the first comment.
    If we’re true Christians then what’s wrong with following Jesus
    He didn’t conform to the world or accept what it had to offer for the
    sake of reaching them. That’s pure compromise!!

Jesus, He set a true standard of Holiness. That we must uphold in everything we do for him. Where is the difference anymore???
    We’re trying so much to please the world by singing,dressing,and living like them. Is it really for the sake of souls being saved or dollars being made

A lot of these gospel artist start out so humble and annointed. and a few years and records later. You listen to the melody and wonder if their R&B or Hip-Hop. We’re in the last days and people are becoming so blinded by the cares of the world.

10. Pastor C says:

I am a pastor and someone informed me yesterday that they went to a strip club and heard the song being played there and that was sacreligious and yes Jesus did associate with sinners but he never had them preaching till they were converted and you certainly never heard them preaching in a strip club. The music is a minstry and so is the word of God. Certainly both are created to draw but neither is meant to be spreaded by someone that is not worthy. Singing does not convict you the word of God is word convicts and convinces you. Just humming, rapping, singing a song can convict you.
    There has to be a seperation between the holy and unholy. No man can serve 2 masters. No one no matter how talented should be appauled for crossing line and striving to blurr the line. If you could tell me that one of the rapper changed their lives and converted to sing gospel after performing with M/M on this video then I would say it was ordained by God but what it did was provide the devil with a way to encourage people to share the line witht the enemy.
    DON”T BLURR THE LINE because in the end GOD IS CERTAINLY NOT GOING TO COMPROMISE>

11. Meece says:

Praise the Lord!! As for me and my comment, I strongly agree with the comment that was made in reference to pro-gospel singers starting out with their eye on the prize(JESUS) and somewhere down the line the publicity, money, and whatever else takes places caused them to take their eyes off the prize(JESUS). That’s why we need his HOLY SPIRIT!!! The HOLY SPIRIT to LEAD you and GUIDE you to all that is TRUE AND OF GOD!!!

12. The Word says:

James 4:3-5 (Amplified Bible)

3[Or] you do ask [God for them] and yet fail to receive, because you ask with wrong purpose and evil, selfish motives. Your intention is [when you get what you desire] to spend it in sensual pleasures.

4You [are like] unfaithful wives [having illicit love affairs with the world and breaking your marriage vow to God]! Do you not know that being the world’s friend is being God’s enemy? So whoever chooses to be a friend of the world takes his stand as an enemy of God.

5Or do you suppose that the Scripture is speaking to no purpose that says, The Spirit Whom He has caused to dwell in us yearns over us and He yearns for the Spirit [to be welcome] with a jealous love?(A)

13. paris says:

yes because they are playing this song in the club and on jam radio station mixing it up with rap music God said he cant stand luke warm christians

14. Tanja says:

I don’t like the video . I agree that they are sending the wrong message to the world and to the younger christian belivers b/c it’s like they are giving the approval to go out to the club and to be among the unsaved and party . I know we as christans are to go out and win soles but there is a right way to do it . This is not the way. God wants all of us not just apart ,and you are going to be hot or cold , walking a straight and narrow line or just zig zaging it .Thinking you have and really don’t ,causing your self and others that follow you to end up in Hell. Maybe they will look at the video and ask their self ”What were we thinking when we did this”.

15. LINDA TAYLOR says:

HERE IS A LITTLE SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT:
    2 Corinthians 6:14-18; (2 Cor.) 7:1.

14Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
    15And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
    16And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
    17Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.
    18And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

1Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

WE OFTEN WANT TO USE THE WAY OF THE FLESH TO DO THINGS AND BRING THOSE TO CHIRST.
    WE READ AND INTERPRET THE SCRIPTURE THE WAY WE WANT SO THAT WE CAN DO WHAT WE WANT.
    IT WON’T WORK, I’VE OFTEN WONDERED HOW SOMEONE COULD RUN ACROSS THE FLOOR GRABBING THEIR CROUCH SINGING GOSPEL MUSIC COULD GO UP TO GOD AS A SWEET SAVOR? I’M NOT WILLING TO RISK ANYTHING FOR MY SOUL. I DO BELIEVE THAT GOD WANT US TO SEPARATE OURSELVES FROM WHAT WE WERE TO WHAT HE WANTS US TO BE. JESUS IS PURE AND HOLY ALWAYS WAS ALWAYS WILL BE. HE WAS NOT BORN IN SIN. I WAS. HOW BE IT THEN I CAN GO AS JESUS DID WHERE SINNERS ABIDE AND DWELL AND DO, AM I JESUS? NO I’M JUST SAVED BY HIS GRACE AND MERCY. PSALMS 1: 1 STATES:Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
    jUST COME OUT FROM AMOUNG THEM AN BE SEPARATE AND ALLOW GOD TO DEAL WITH US AND IN US AND AROUND US AND IF WE LIVE AND ARE BLESSED AS GOD HAS PROMISED SOME WILL SEE THE LIGHT IN US AND WILL WANT TO KNOW HOW THEY CAN OBTAIN THAT LIFE TO….WELL THAT’S MY BELIEF.

16. jesse says:

well as a musician for over thirty years here in Columbus,Ohio,i remember when contemporary music began to become popular,but i remember that god told me not to play or teach every song and i can say that 26 years later my community choir is blessed,alive and well. This is my question. People say that we have to change things to draw young people. Most Gospel music today does not sound sincere and relies more on beats and sounds that would sound more suited to a club as opposed to a church. We have to also remember that the same producers of modern gospel music is produced by secular artist. We have to remember that God said what has light to do with darkness??

17. isarael says:

Church planting request

My name is B.Isarael; I born brought up in Banjara Hindu tribal family. My family was starving as didn’t send me school then my neighbor friends were going to school, my heart was broken desire to school. At the time the God send his servant to leading into study then God realized me plan and purpose in my life. 1992 as the year Jesus saved to me then GOD changed my name from Devilal to Isarael.Then GOD called to YWAM in 1996. I joined YWAM in DTS Hyderabad. I worked one year with Mercy ministries staff in Hyderabad and SOFM Practical 2 1/2years as church plant team with the staff. Then I worked as the team leader up to 2003.
    I got vision in 1992: One day I was praying at night, the GOD showed the scripture Zechariah: 04:1-7.In that visions my heart is filled by bright light and appearance the flash lined follows
     Church planting for the world.
     Orphan Home & Children Care Ministry.
     Mercy Charity Ministry.
    After completion my training I started individual ministries in Hyderabad the location of Nagaram area. By the God’s grace we established seloum church at Nagaram.
    Church planting for the world.
    Prayer needs:
     We have 25 villages in 4 districts ministries in slums areas in Andhra Pradesh.
     We need to establish the churches at all villages.
     But we have no lands and no money because of all believers are poor as they can’t able to lead their families financially.
     We have no permanent place and no co-operation from any organization.
     We have burden trained servants of the Lord but the poverty leading them as daily wages-saker.
     We have women fellowship but the lock of finance it isn’t running.
     We have evangelism team to proclaim the gospel; we haven’t any home for prayer and any vehicle to outreach.
     It is very critical situation at the rainy season that no have shelters for prayer and meetings.
     We need 24 hours prayer towers but we haven’t home.
     Here is opportunity to start Discipleship Training Centre (D.T.C) to make evangelist to villages students. But we haven’t any help.
     We need public crushes in villages to realize the people miracle of the Lord.
    We are praying and starving of Lords grace. We hope in Lord he will fulfill his deeds to separate his people from the villages.
    Thanking you.
    Yours in Christ
    Bro: B.Isarael,
    Redeemer Gospel Ministries,

18. Marcus C. says:

I am deeply sadden by the response of theses ” Christians” about Mary Mary’s music minisrty. When will you people stop judging everybody. To walk around and insits that you do not sin, or back-slide, or even question things is heart-retching to me. I see why so many people have turned away from church and religion because the church turned tfrom them first!
    You people even ridicule each other so much that a “worldly” person doesn’t even stand a chance to be saved or to come to you for christian advice being so afraid of being “bible-bashed”.
    If you continue to shun away people who are making advances in religion and breaking down barriers in music, deeming them “unholy” then think of how many of the youth and young adults you instill this hate in.
    Seems like its a lot of christians who need to be repenting right now. You all are being self-rightous, pretenious, and judmental……. Not a good look at all

19. red_luscious says:

i find it so funny that many people are downing them now. do they not hear what these women are saying? the song has a powerful message to me. the video just made me feel like no matter what someone’s occupation is that at the end of the day the rapper that you see everyday may actually be home prayin. some responses to this make me feel that they think the people who were in the video were beneath them. what does it matter what religion the people in the video are? is your religion not allowed to associate with other religions? do you think your religion better than everyone elses? it is sad that people who are supposed to be so religious are trying their hardest to make these women look like the bad guys. a grade A example of why people leave the church to begin with. the place that you go for worship is filled with judgement and degredation to people who arent just like them. no two people in the world worship in the exact same way. so why down someone who is doing it the best way they know how?

20. Bishop John Trahan says:

Come out from among them and be seperated is not meant to dissassociate your self n hide under a rock.I shot herion n smoked cocaine for 17 years but i came out i don’t hang with dope’s anymore but rather give them hope thru the Bible in Christ Jesus.I don’t hang out at the club anymore etc.etc. so those of you who read this decide this day whom you will serve! You can’t mix it up like many r doing to be accepted or popular.It’s not your interpetation of God’s word that will save you for Holiness without which no man see the Lord. Mary,Mary n all the rest n you know who u r Play with the Lord Jesus if you think it’s a joke but the LOrd has warned us all in his word. The Good,Bad and the Ugly.
    Blessings upon you try prayer it really works!

21. mray mray i love your song and gril you go so like hrad the song i like is the god and me

22. RJ says:

All i have to say is the Bible states to shun the very appreance of people. Why! Because people can get the wrong idea about the suppose to be christians. It will give people mixed feelings. And if people are not getting saved behind the song that was suppose to bring deliverance, then it is in vain. Music is to glorify God not for people to bump and grind and pop their booty to. That’s not Godly it the devil. He blinding the minds of people so they cannot see the truth.

23. RJ says:

I meant to say shun the very appearance of evil.

24. lisa says:

I cannot believe these comments…its testimony that we are reaching end times and God is about to put in his appearance. G. Craig Lewis “the curse of the culture” is soooo right.
    “many shall fall away giving head to seducing spirits and doctrines of men…”

its happening and its starting with music…we dont realize how powerful this thing is…we are soo ignorant to how the devil is functioning in music. how he is using music to slip into the church ( because Christians are who he is after and the way to reach them is through music like God in me.)

we really need to educate ourselves and stop justifying sin because we like a certain artist.

I will be in prayer for some of you out there who feels this is ok.

25. Denise says:

We know that all things work for good for them that love God, so even though I personally don’t agree with this video and upon initial reaction wanted to judge them, I had to stop and ask myself “am I perfect”? “what things do I need to get down on my knees and repent and ask God for forgiveness for”. God has given us all free will, Mary Mary included and maybe this time they made a bad call, but maybe people will see this video and get ready to criticize and realize that they too are not perfect . Instead of judging and tearing them down, they’ll ask God to guide and direct them, and while they’re down there ask God for his love and guidance for us all in all things. We should be slow to speak and quick to forgive just as God forgives and continues to love and forgive us in spite of ourselves.

26. Know I've been changed says:

I love Mary Mary and the song really makes me glad to be saved by God’s grace. Some of the references to the material items could have been excluded but, clothes, shoes, car s and home are a blessing. When I think about the “God in me” I think about the favor I have in my life , on my job and in my community. No matter how people feel no one can take away the fact that this song my have brought someone closer to God.

27. Dynesha Henderson says:

I think there is nothing wrong with what mary mary did you have no idea how many people got saved just because of that song. Some people never probably listened to gospel a day in their life and now who some new doors might have been opened. People should never be so quick to judge others because you never know what God has planned, just because things don’t work out the way you expect them to don’t mean God did not have a plan.

28. jelinda says:

i love how so many are just outraged about this video, its too this, it’s too that,…lets remember back in the day when churches first got drums, people got stirred up because they thought it was bringing in worldlinesss. i say its a good message, the video is being used to glorify God, i have no problem. listen to the lyrics and tell me how “wrong” the song is. and the fact that Mary Mary has David Banner on their CD, but these are the same “sanctified Holy-Ghost filled” Christians who bump Kirk Franklin in their stereos. Lets not forget he had Salt-N-Peppa on one of his previous albums. and that Brought alot of young adults over to realize God loves us all. those that disagree are obviously those that shouldnt listen to very much but old hymns and things of that nature.

29. Tessy says:

Don’t hate – celebrate!!! Those sisters- Mary Mary are good! If you put prejudices and “religiousity” aside, and take time to watch the video and carefully listen to the lyrics of the song, you will see that it is not so difficult to understand or ‘get’ the message that they are portraying in the music.
    Mary Mary is anointed by God to reach some people whom some of us may never get to meet in a lifetime. Many of these celebrities may never visit a church ( many churches which by the way are more focused on fundraising and politics rather than evangelism!) but they will be comfortable around a fellow grammy-winning artist who is equally talented, rich and famous who by the way happens to be a born-again christian.

30. GlorifyGod82 says:

Mary Mary has sold out!! God in me is such a carnal song and the only so called Christians who like that song are ones who aren’t Christians at all. Mary Mary is heavily into the prosperity gospel which is a false doctrine and their music shows that. That is why “God In Me” is focus on materialistic things; as if having stuff is an indication that God is with someone. I pray that God would open their eyes to the light of the Gospel.

31. Myeisha Pope says:

u knw what i dnt knw what they talkin about because mary mary has a sound that is incredible and this video is not going overboard shoot im glad that they even mad a video that is not old lookin and cheap lookin like most of them.
    keep doing you thing MaryMary and these othat people that thinks its wrong really need to stop
    God is love, dnt shoot the people down who is trying to spread it in different good ways

32. Kayla says:

What Mary Mary is doing is blasphemous and i’m so tired of hearing people say that maybe God wll convict the hearts of these people Mary Mary is associating with. No God won’t thats just like saying well If i go in a Night club and preach their hearts might be changed. 9 times out of 10 those people will still be the same way. And as for the song The God In Me where is God being uplifted this song only boosts people self esteem to make them feel like what they are doing is right even though it is sin. If God is not being glorified than it is not of God. I mean it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure this junk out. I’m telling you most of the people that I personally know that like this song smoke, drink, curse, fornicate, go to clubs, lie, and everyother sin in the book. okay you might say well by them listenting to it this song will change them. No it won’t because right after people hear that song it makes them act even worse. Don’t be decieved. Thumbs down for Mary Mary.

33. renee says:

Pastor C you don’t know what rappers lives’ are like. Just because they are rappers does not mean that they are not CHRISTIAN or don’t have GOD in their lives. Rap does not automatically equal bad. We need someone to administer to the youth, someone who actually Understands us.

34. Jesse says:

Man all of you all have gone too far. The Bible says Judge not that ye be not judged. How do any of you know the intent behind the video unless you were there to speak with Mary Mary yourself. Not only that, why is it assumed that some of the folks in the video are not Christians. By what standards did you come to that conclusion?

This video could be a way for all of these artist to let the world know that they too believe in God contrary to what the world believes. Part of the problem with us Christians is the fact that we are some of the biggest judges, yet we claim to know the one who is the true judge.

So while you are dropping all these scriptures someone aught to try applying the word to your life.

35. Calvin Wynn Va Beach VA says:

Please, Please, PLEASE!!!!! My fellow Christians, who by the way are SINNERS ALSO!!!! WE ARE NOT AND NEVER WILL BE ON THIS EARTH PERFECT!!!!!!!!
    This means no matter how you try not to, we commit sins also,— the pot can’t call the kettle black, this, is why our lord and master told us NOT TO JUDGE!!!! We are called to spread the news that Jesus is the light and to live OUR LIVES Christ like. With this said Listen to the words of the song, listen to them again, PRAY, then, listen to them again.
    If you can’t hear a message that is about Christ then you may want to look, Inside.
    For the person that heard that song at a strip club PLEASE, how can you fault Mary, Mary for someone else’s foolishness????? Anyone that would play a song with the words The God in me at a strip club is clearly not about a God who’s son is Jesus Christ so why would a Christ waste time attacking another Christians (believer in Christ) because they have an opinion (Pastor C), who is this helping???? Remember no matter how we cut it WE Christians are sinners too, Christ is the difference not us.

36. Calvin W. Va. Beach VA says:

I do not understand how a christian can call another christian luke warm because of what someone else is doing. Listen to the WORDS of the song, the words.
    Maybe just maybe God is use the same trick the world is using.
    Hook them with the music then let HIS words get into them.
    Mary Mary has no control over what someone else is doing and just a little history lesson for you young ones. Ask a person in their 90s what was said about Christian music that is called Traditional now.
    The songs you sing like Amazing Grace that has the swing beat to it? Come on people let stop Diss one another (Christian), and spend this time going after the REAL problem.

37. praisewitdance says:

This has gone absolutely too far!! I didn’t see anything in that video that represented Jesus and it’s a shame that some so called gospel artists will do anything to sell some records. It shouldn’t even be about you it should be about Jesus and the gift that He gave you to reach out. I’m sorry but I am sick of these people just wanting the Christian title but not really living for Christ! The bible tells anyone who loves the world DOES NOT have the love of God in them. It’s time to get it right and be examples of Christ. That could’ve been a chance for them to show Christ to those rappers b/c the very rappers in this video don’t even believe in Jesus they believe in other things. WAKE UP CHURCH!

38. Kel says:

Music is very influential and the devil is using it to populate his kingdom. Gospels artists need to be aware of the reasons behind the music, Ephesians 5:19 says: speaking to yourselves in psalms, hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord. This is the purpose of the music and gospel artists need to use this as a yardstick to check if the music they are producing is to the glory of God. When someone is not born again, their praise cannot reach God, he that (sings) to God must first believe that he is. Rapppers and secular artists that have not given their hearts to God should not be singing or appearing in tracks (videos) for the glory of God and the edification of this people because they do not profess God as their Lord and Saviour. In fact these secular artists produce songs that are in direct contradiction to God’s word. It therefore does not follow that they can give praise to God in one track and produce filthy music with a lot of cursing in another. You cannot serve God and Mammon. Further, many people may see these rappers or secular artists in the vidoes of gospel artists and feel that it is therefore ok to listen to their Music, when really many tracks of these secular artists are not beneficial to your spiritual life. Essentlally, Mary Mary should strongly consider their approach to music and get back to the basics with God.

39. BUNMI ODEZ says:

Hmm, Its The God in me,….I first heard d song frm someone before I watched the video.My concern is the lyrics of the song.Why not say its God in me?Trust me there s a big difference between The God in me and God in me. The God in me sounds like what the newagers(which is an anitchrist religion) would say, just like some would say the universe power in me…..We have to be real carefull and we must not deceive ourselves. I love mary mary soo much and I only wish that they remain in Christ.Looking at the video even shocked me the more cos there were several artists who do not portray Christ so what God in them were they preaching about. I mean there was even a well know artist who has been reported to be involved in some kind of cult,(wisdom is profitable). there was no reference to Jesus who is the centre of our life (cos He is the way truth and life). and greatness/ success is not based on materialistic things.
    common people I see an artist who is well known for misbehaving, cursing, and sees nothing wrong with fornicating singing with some gospel artist and they both saying its the God in me (who is THE GOD that they were referring to). Jesus never went preaching wit the sinners he went with his disciples (n followers who were already transformed).
    But make no mistake there s nothing wrong with the music stlye

40. RScott says:

I believe the interpretation of this song lies in the heart of the listener. Any phrase, poem, book, song or saying can have deep meaning for one person and an entirely different meaning for someone else. To say that the artists who wrote this song are praising the ‘stuff’ that they have received because of knowing God is to say that you know what is in their hearts. Anything can be perverted by someone with that intent in their heart. Growing up, I remember friends making comments about a pretty girl such as ‘i’d like to change HER oil!’ or ‘yeah, she can scramble MY eggs any day!’ These comments don’t even make sense, but the intent behind them is perfectly clear. The song says ‘You think I’m so clean, think I’m so sweet’, seeing the way someone acts or lives can make people form opinions that someone is holy or righteous about themselves, when in fact that person knows they are a sinner and there is no other reason for their lifestyle but for the grace of God. They pray, they tithe, they thank God every day for His blessings. But to people who only see the outside, they’ve ‘got it made’. They are only looking at possesions, a nice house, a fancy car, nice clothes, enough money to be able to spend generously. They don’t see what is on the inside, the God inside their heart. Not a person claiming to be a God or to be Godlike, but the love and forgiveness of Jesus Christ within their heart. Unfortunately, many people will interpret the song as saying if you follow God, you’ll get all the good ‘stuff’ meaning possessions. I am not defending Mary/Mary. I don’t know what their song means to them. They will have their own day to be judged for whatever intentions may have been in their hearts when they wrote this and when they perform it and when they cash the checks they receive for it. I don’t watch the video, and don’t judge them for the people they choose to have in their video. I listen to the song, I thank God every day for the blessings that I have in MY life, I try to be a blessing to others when I am given the opportunity to share what God has graced me with and I and thankful for the GOD that lives within my heart.

41. me says:

The TRUTH is in the WORD.

42. Tru2no1 says:

Never cared for these 2, devils in disguise as far as I am concerned.

43. dayna eastin says:

May I give my opinion about the song “God In Me ” by Mary Mary. The song is based on a third person view of a person who seems to “have it all together” and folks want her lifestyle but will not see what really completes the package: her faith in God. “when she gets behind closed doors and she hits the floor” is an everyday person that is a servant of Christ that is joyfilled in giving tithes,prayer, bible study and helping those less fortunate at the same time is blessed with these material things that many folks would like to have. “If you’d ask her, she’d tell ya It’s the God in me!” It’s really no secret… prayer works! Faith in Christ works! thats why I like this song.

44. Anonymous says:

Church folks are always running somebody away. I love you guys don’t stop your work for tradition or fools.